- Stroke is a disease that affects the arteries leading to and within the brain.
- About 795,000 Americans each year suffer a new or recurrent stroke. That means, on average, a stroke occurs every 40 seconds.
- Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability in the United States.
- Almost 129,000 people die because of stroke every year.
- Stroke is the fifth cause of death in the United States. On average, every 4 minutes, someone dies of stroke.
- African-Americans face almost twice the risk of suffering a first stroke as compared to white people, and have a higher risk of death from stroke.
- There are many risk factors for stroke, including: high blood pressure, cholesterol level, smoking, diet, and exercise.
- Recognizing symptoms of a stroke and acting FAST to get medical attention can save a life and limit disabilities.
Sources: American Heart Association/American Stroke Association; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.